11 May 2006

Welcome Dan Lucas

Referencing a post I wrote a few days ago...

My two mags
http://chessforallages.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-two-mags.html

...I received the March 2006 CL in the mail today. It's the first issue listing Dan Lucas as editor. Of course I don't know how much of the content is due to Lucas and how much to the previous editor(s), but there are a few bright spots. The first thing I noticed was a seven page story on the Khanty-Mansiysk World Cup, including seven annotated games and a couple of partial games. After that is a fully annotated game by Kamsky that he played in the same event.

The CL content is still 1/3 columns and 1/3 tournament announcements (TLAs). I believe the columns will start changing -- either disappear or be replaced -- in the May issue. The TLAs may never disappear. I wonder why USCF management doesn't steer readers to the online version. It would either save a lot of trees or free some space for more interesting content. There are surely other advantages as well. I can't think of any disadvantages, other than 'That's the way we've always done it!'

GM Andrew Soltis has aged 20 years since the previous issue. Yesterday I received a review copy of his book on Lasker. I can't wait to read it. Lasker has been one of my favorites since I read his manual cover to cover as a C-player.

No comments: